How to Write a Conclusion for an Essay
An essay conclusion is one of the main parts of any essay paper. Generally, the structure of any essay paper foresees its division into three parts: introduction, main body, and conclusion. The introductory part should contain information on the main issues that have to be discussed in the paper. The main body provides information, which supports the main ideas of the essay represented in the introduction. And finally, the conclusion sums up all the information discussed above, by highlighting the key points once more.
Writing a College Essay Conclusion
Such structure can be considered appropriate for a simple school essay conclusion. But if you are writing college papers, the demands for them tend to be higher. Simply writing the main ideas in the introduction, outlining them in the main body, and providing them once again in the conclusion is not enough for college level writing. If you are writing a college paper, essay conclusions are expected to provide much more information than just restating the information from the introductory part. They should contain your own evaluation of the problem and personal opinions.
In order to provide a good college essay conclusion try to ask yourself a set of questions that can help improve your writing. In the process of conclusion, writing ask yourself why all the information provided in it is important. How can it convince the audience about the importance of the discussed issue? Why is your point of view better that the one supported by your teachers, peers or other scholars? Good essays mean that they should be credible, supported by reliable facts and evidence. It can be reached by means of demonstrating that you are aware of the problem under discussion and by showing that you can contribute to solving it.
In order to understand how it works, think of things that may seem a bit unusual for the reader. For example, you can write about the relationships between the characters of a book or a film. Still, it will be more interesting to read not only the bare facts considering the topic but also the reflection of the writer on what influence their behavior can have on people, especially young boys or girls. If you start thinking about it, it may turn out that that you can add much more information to the topic than you expected. Good essay conclusions must be able to raise a discussion with the aim of involving other people in the process and making them think about negative consequences of such relationships. Moreover, it can show that the relationships of many film and book characters cannot become role models for younger generation. Consequently, such a strategy can help you improve your writing skills and make your papers more informative and interesting for the reader.
How to Write an Essay Conclusion Properly?
There is one little trick that can be helpful for those who wonder how to write an essay conclusion. Your conclusion has to reflect your introduction and restate its ideas in a new way. The trick is to take your thesis statement that is contained in the opening paragraph of your essay, rephrase it, and include it in your conclusion. The thesis statement has to be shown from a new perspective, through the prism of all the ideas and arguments mentioned in the body of your essay. You need to reinforce it and remind the readers that you have mentioned this key point from the very beginning. This is an essential part of writing a strong conclusion, so make sure to use this trick in the writing process.
All in all, when you write an essay conclusion, make sure it reaches the following goals:
- Rephrases the thesis statement;
- Provides a summary of the main arguments you have listed in your paper;
- Points to the directions of further research and gives the readers food for thought.
Now that you know how to write a conclusion for an essay, let us analyze the most typical mistakes the students make in the writing process.
What to Put in a Conclusion to Spoil the Whole Paper
Writing an effective conclusion is what most students seek, but just in case you want your conclusion to fail and look ridiculous, stick to one of the following models:
- Simply summarize. No need to make any efforts: just name the ideas from the body of your paper in a shorter form, and add no roundups. Your conclusion must say: “Yep, that’s what I meant, you have got me.” Be as concise as possible and do not appeal to the audience under any circumstances.
- Surprise your readers. Introduce the new ideas while writing a college essay conclusion, the ones that have not been mentioned anywhere in the paper. No need to relate those ideas to the main argument of your essay: just let them hang in the closing paragraph just like they have come out of nowhere. So what if you have no space to discuss these arguments properly? Just leave your readers with a lot of questions and confused faces, that is always a memorable read!
- Dramatize. Forget about all the analysis and logical structures used in your paper! You know well how to write a good conclusion paragraph that will impress the audience: simply appeal to the emotions and add some drama. Mentioning some non-related issues like world hunger or gender inequality can help you to make the end of your paper more convincing.
- Continue the discussion. We all know how hard it can be to just end the story and stop adding details. Well, set no frames this time! Instead of finishing your paper and rounding it up, just continue the discussion. Provide more and more arguments, include quotes and supporting sentences, etc. Your conclusion can even be longer than the body!
*Note: the above suggestions only show how to conclude an essay in a wrong, false, incorrect way. If you want to know how to write a good conclusion, keep reading this article further.
How to Write an Essay Conclusion Correctly
For those who wonder how to do a conclusion that will impress the teacher and bring great grades, there are other tips and tricks. It should be mentioned though that the main condition for receiving a good mark is making your writing comply with the professor’s requirements. Thus, the first thing you need to do is to check the rubric you received in class and see what the teacher wants to see in your conclusion. Apart from that, you can use the following suggestions to make your conclusion effective and appealing:
- Rephrase your thesis statement in a way that adds the newly gained knowledge to the initially expressed idea. You can extend the thesis statement to several sentences and make it more detailed, showing how the research made in the process of essay writing has impacted the ideas you had at the beginning.
- Make sure your conclusion only refers to the ideas mentioned in the body of your paper and does not introduce any new information. Even if you leave your readers some food for thought or ask questions, they need to be related to the arguments of your paper.
- Outline only the key ideas of your writing. Do not go back to discussing any details or additional facts and focus on the major points only.
- Make the last sentence “open”, suggesting the further papers to be written on your topic.
- Generalize more and step away from focusing on some particular ideas.
As you can see, writing a good conclusion is more difficult than many think. Now that you know the main conditions for ending an essay successfully, the writing process will bring you the desired result and guarantee good grades!
In case you need writing assistance, you can order a conclusion or the entire essay right here! See our price calculator and estimate the cost of your future order here!