When a person decides to enroll in a college or university, a number of significant challenges might appear in a blink of an eye. There are many written assignments that a student will work on during the period of studying. However, one of the most important tasks for an entrant to complete is writing a statement of purpose, which is a kind of an essay introducing an applicant to an admission committee. It should be a short and explicit paper about the previous experience (education and work) and academic and career goals.
A Statement of Purpose Format Suggests That You Follow Such Steps:
- Before writing the paper, learn as much as possible about the school of your interest, the courses that you wish to enroll in and major that you have chosen.
- Make a list of all the aspects that drove you to consider this particular educational establishment as your future alma mater. It is crucial to provide sound reasoning for your choice.
- Reflect on the experiences, qualifications, and skills from your past that will help you succeed in your future profession. Your statement of purpose should also mention your positive traits and qualities that encourage your personal growth.
- It is beneficial to combine your personal goals with those that the admission committee expects you to have.
- A draft is an inseparable part of the process of writing. It has to be 400-500 words if the application requirements do not suggest another word limit.
- The goal of a statement of purpose is to get the admission committee interested in you as a potential student. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to write a clear and effective introduction that indicates the program in which you wish to enroll and explains why you have chosen this particular career path as well as this educational establishment.
- In a conclusion, project the goals of your future career and discuss how acquiring and developing professional skills in this institution will have impact on your career success and personal development.
- Proofread the paper several times to make sure no grammatical or logical mistakes were made.
If You Want to Master How to Write a Statement of Purpose, You Need to Consider the Following Key Points:
- Remain unique and creative when composing this kind of a paper. Try to avoid clichés and generalizations by using your own words. Writing a statement of purpose is a challenging task, especially when you know that the committee will have to check tons of applications. Therefore, focus on being “different” so that you get easily spotted and make instant impression.
- Go to the website of the institution you have chosen and read all the information regarding applicants.
- Start working on your statement long before the deadline – a week at least. There has to be enough time for you to reflect on the thoughts and ideas that you plan to use in your paper. Also, decide on statement of purpose length. After you are done, put the statement aside for some time (a day or two) and then read it again with a fresh perspective.
- Ask someone to proofread your paper so that you can edit it according to their remarks.
- Use an appropriate tone when writing a paper. You need to demonstrate gracious and respectful attitude to the committee expressing your thoughts in polite and formal language.
- Consider a statement of purpose as the greatest opportunity to introduce yourself and your goals to the admission committee.